I find myself wondering, are humans by nature selfish? Do humans naturally want to see someone else fail? I heard on the radio last night that the 2010 Masters ratings have increased 47% since last year. The DJ attributed the increase to people's curiousity to see if a crazed mistress will come running onto the course. What a sad realization to understand that ultimately, people want to see others fail. All animals including humans are wired to be competitive. Our primary concern is survival. Remember the days where the main goal was to gather food for yourself and your family? Even then it was necessary to be selfish in order to survive. By definition, altruism is having an unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others. Is there really such thing as altruism when it goes against our primary purpose, survival of self? Alas, I have to admit that a majority of humans want to watch a talented man ultimatley fail. I contend that the viewership hasn't increased because more people are interested in the game of golf. Their motives aren't so simple.
It never is simple.
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment